WOMEN’S group Power of Engineering (POE) will this year take aim at young up-and-comers with a series of one-day workshops motivating high school students to pursue careers in engineering.
With 11 workshops planned across Queensland and one in Melbourne, POE will spend time with year 9 and 10 students to promote engineering through seminars, an array of keynote speakers and role models and the launch of a youth-focused website.
The events, many of which are sponsored by AMMA members QGC, Arrow Energy, Santos and Origin Energy, are planned for dates between August and November 2013, as follows:
- Brisbane, 6 August 2013
- Caboolture, 9 August 2013
- Melbourne, 3 September 2013
- Springfield, 16 October 2013
- Toowoomba, 23 October 2013
- Dalby (two events), October/November 2013
- Chinchilla, October/November 2013
- Miles, October/November 2013
- Taroom, October/November 2013
- Roma, October/November 2013
POE is now recruiting students, recent graduates, experienced professionals and a variety of other role models to present at the upcoming workshops.
The vacant positions include:
- Project managers – male or female;
- Keynote speakers – female or male;
- Workshop facilitators – male or female;
- Industry / site tour guides; and
- Committee members – male or female
For more information about how you can inspire young talent to pursue a career in engineering, contact Power of Engineering by e-mail at [email protected].