The Chamber of Minerals and Energy of Western Australia announced the winners of the Women in Resources Awards in recent weeks, with St Barbara Mining receiving the Outstanding Company Initiative award.
Moving forward in leaps and bounds, St Barbara Mining was recognised for its systematic and sustainable approach to reducing the pay equity gap.
In 2007, the Human Resources (HR) practices at St Barbara were transactional, consisting mostly of recruitment with no linkage to the business strategy. A remuneration strategy did not exist and the pay equity gap was 43%. However, through a number of Board approved initiatives, led by the Executive Leadership Team and reviewed regularly by the board the gap has reduced to 15.9% in 2013.
Other winners included:
• Women in Resources Champion – Stuart Forrester, Iluka Resources
• Outstanding Operator/Technician/Trade Woman in Resources – Emma Stevenson, BHP Billiton Nickel West
• Outstanding Woman in Resources – Kyra Bonney, McConnell Dowell
• Outstanding Young Woman in Resources – Heidi Edwards, Rio Tinto Iron Ore
• People’s Choice Award – Rachel Mottram, Alcoa of Australia
Further information about the awards and winners can be found here.