AUSTRALIAN Resources & Energy Group AMMA earlier this month hosted a roundtable consultation with Minister for Resources and Northern Australia Matthew Canavan, Chair of the Resources 2030 Taskforce Andrew Cripps and 10 CEO-level executives from a broad cross-section of AMMA’s membership.
“This roundtable meeting was attended by senior executives from some of Australia’s most significant employers across the hard rock mining, coal, oil and gas and related service sectors,” Steve Knott, AMMA Chief Executive, said.
“We were pleased to host this invaluable consultation process which has helped set the tone for the work of the Resources 2030 Taskforce, established by Minister Canavan to ensure the long-term future of Australia’s resources sector.”
Key themes raised by industry leaders at the roundtable included:
- Infrastructure – The importance of a long term view and planning to overcome challenges in developing infrastructure, being central to new resources development.
- Reduce red tape – To support reduced complexities of multi-faceted government interactions as an obstacle to progression, including but not limited to land exploration licenses, royalties and employment.
- Technology – Develop a strategy to position Australia as a world leader, attract economic support for research, innovation and technology.
- Facilitating the right skills – Attract and train the skills the resources industry needs in the longer term.
- Industry to inspire and lead – Development of a culture that motivate generations of Australians to appreciate and support the resources industry as sustainable, job creating and for the benefit of a brighter future for all Australians.
“AMMA thanks those member company executives who made themselves available for this important meeting at short notice,” Mr Knott said.
“The Minister has also expressed his gratitude and noted it was one of the best industry consultation exercises he has undertaken in recent times.
“While time will tell which of the above issues will be explored further and acted upon by the Taskforce, this meeting definitely gave Minister Canavan’s selected team a headstart on the types of issues likely to be raised over coming months.”
The Resources 2030 Taskforce is undertaking further industry consultations and is expected to report in late 2018. More information can be found here.