AMMA has made a submission to the Senate Standing Committee on Education and Employment in regards to the Building and Construction Industry (Improving Productivity) Bill 2013 and the Building and Construction Industry (Consequential and Transitional Provisions) Bill 2013.
In this submission, AMMA welcomes the new federal government’s introduction of the Building & Construction Industry (Improving Productivity) Bill 2013, a bill aimed at re-establishing the ABCC by instating former legislative provisions that provide:
- Higher penalties for unlawful conduct by building industry participants;
- Stronger prosecutorial powers for the inspectorate and its director;
- A broader definition of building work;
- More scope for injunctions to stop unlawful industrial action;
- Stronger anti-coercion provisions;
- More effective compulsory information gathering powers; and
- Increased independence of the inspectorate.
Click here to read the full submission.